Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Mzungu, how are you?

It is crazy how these last eight weeks have been. I am really getting into the job at CRO and after a few weeks with a special orientation program I became a part of the social work department. My job description includes going on street walk in the morning. Here we find children who are living on the streets and we try to find out why they are there and encourage them to receive help from CRO.
In general I am really settling here and getting used to daily life and tasks. I no longer think twice about going to the slum to buy vegetables or eating from a small shed where a couple of old women sit and cook different dishes (beans, cabbage and sweet potato is my favorite!). It is no longer strange when ten small kids start following you and saying “Mzungu(white man), how are you?” with beautiful smiles on their faces.
 My passion for watching football has been reignited after finding that “everyone” here loves it. There is a barbershop not far where some of the guys next door and I watch the Manchester Unite games. The atmosphere there is phenomenal!

We have had some time to get to know the city, but also the mountain that watches over it. A few weeks a go we had a spectacular hike to the top with Sam and Simon. We started early in the morning to avoid rain in the afternoon.
We also got to spend a weekend in Kampala where we visited the lovely act-now girls Eline and Astrid. We had a great time and they showed us around the capitol!


Sam, simon and me.


 Played some cards with some children living at the top of the mountain.


 We had to climb down a "ladder" on the way down



Our house
The view from the roof!

No comments:

Post a Comment